Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What Your Kids Can Learn From Frozen

If you have a child under the age of 10 in your home, you have probably seen the movie, Frozen, a bajillion times. Please tell me it's not just at my house!!!

My 3 1/2 year old granddaughter walks around the house, a sheet around her shoulders and her princess dress up shoes on, singing "Let it Go" and being Elsa. " You be Anna, Mimi" she will tell me. She is obsessed.

And, I have to say that if she has to be obsessed with a movie, I think Frozen is a good one. First of all, I love Disney movies. Probably because I grew up watching them myself {Lady and the Tramp was my favorite} But, of all the Disney movies I've seen I love the message of Frozen. It teaches important life lessons through the characters and the music.


Here are a few of the messages I like:
--Sisters stick together. Sibling relationships create a special bond. Your siblings are the people you've known the longest in life and the only ones that really know what it was like to grow up in your house with your parents. Elsa withdraws from her sister out of love for her and Anna pursues her out of love as well. It is a beautiful, bittersweet part of the story.
--Running away isn't the answer. Elsa retreats from the situation and creates herself a special ice castle. She isn't aware, until Anna tells her, that she left the town she cares about in a worse situation than if she had stayed. It's important for our kids (and their mama's) to remember that just because things get tough or people find out that we aren't perfect doesn't mean we should run away. Staying and facing a situation is often the hardest AND best thing you can do.
--Mr. Perfect rarely is. Anna gets caught up in the sweet nothings that Hans whispers in her ear. It is crucial to realize (and the earlier this happens the better) that actions speak louder than words, particularly when choosing a partner. I love the song the little rock gnome-y things sing, "Fixer Upper" because it's what love is truly about- two imperfect people that love and accept each other, despite their perceived flaws. And, the Hans' of the world typically have ulterior motives and will choose their own agenda over yours every.single.time.
--Love conquers all.

What is your favorite part of the movie?

1 comment: