Wednesday, January 1, 2014

5 New Years Resolutions for Teen Moms

Alright, ladies! Today we are diving into 365 days of devotions written just for you.  Is anyone else excited that it is a brand new year?

Perhaps 2013 was a tough one for you. I've had those years.  Years where it felt like nothing went the way I planned or the way I thought it should go.  When those years were coming to a close, the countdown to midnight on New Years Eve was filled with even more anticipation than usual.

Our verse for today is from Deuteronomy 7:13. I love this verse because it talks about what God wants to do for us, because He loves us:

He will love you, He will bless you, He will increase you.


I'm not big on New Years resolutions. Don't get me wrong though! I think setting goals is very important {we will talk more about that on the 3rd}. But, going all in on January 1st to lose weight or stop smoking can be setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.  Today, instead of specific things for you to accomplish in 2014, I am going to share 5 general concepts I hope you will focus on in the coming year and beyond.

  1. Enjoy your child right now!! When my boys were babies, I was overwhelmed, exhausted and had a bad bout of postpartum depression (having two babies in 15 months will do that to a girl).  They were the cutest, sweetest babies in the world and I didn't take the time to enjoy them. It is one thing I regret. You don't get those moments back so make sure you cherish each one.
  2. Make your health a priority- your physical, emotional and spiritual health!  Do you need to make healthier food choices? Don't we all?  Do you need to let go of a grudge or exercise more patience? Don't we all? Do you need to go to church or blow the dust off your Bible?  Don't we all?  A new year is the perfect time for a fresh start. Make 2014 your healthy year.
  3. Don't get distracted.  We are going to talk a lot about things that can knock us off the train tracks of life.  A break-up, failing your college mid terms, getting fired from a job, nasty comments about your situation from someone you look up to and I could go on and on.  It is crucial that you don't let temporary set backs distract you from your ultimate goal- being the best mom you can be. 
  4. Cut yourself some slack.  I'm my own worst enemy and becoming a young mom didn't help me in that regard. I expected perfection from myself and when I fell short of my own expectations, I felt useless and sometimes even thought my kids would have been better off born to another mom.  Ugh! It stinks to feel that way and, more importantly, it's a waste of time and energy.  If you burn dinner, shrink your work shirt in the dryer, don't make homemade goodies for the preschool Valentine party or forget to call your sister on her birthday- IT'S OKAY!!! You have a lot on your plate and you will for the next 18 years. Now is a great time to start cutting yourself some slack.
  5. Learn as much as possible about your child.  Kids don't come with an instruction manual but we do live in the Google age.  Read as much as you can about child development- how their brains work, what to expect at their age and stage, etc.  Study your child to learn what motivates them, what makes them smile, what makes them sad.  Not only will this deepen your bond with your child but it will help you in the years to come. The better you know your child, the easier they are to parent.
Ok, that completes my list of things to focus on in 2014.  I would love to hear your New Years resolutions in the comments, if you have made any.  Let's cheer each other on!

Till tomorrow,
Melissa

2 comments:

  1. Pretty accurate as too how the first few months of braxxs life has been wonder if maybe hed have been better off if I had adopted him out, wishing I could change who his father is, wishing I had more support, and already wishing I had stopped and enjoyed him when he was tinier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I want you to know that I am praying for you and if you ever need to talk, I'm here. You can email me at kmelissasmallwood@gmail.com.

      Delete